Internal Auditor (24-month Term)
Competition #: 1267
Language Requirements: BBB
Closing date: April 22, 2020
Our vision is to earn the trust of Canadians as a global leader in deposit insurance and resolution. At CDIC, we offer you the unique opportunity to provide financial peace of mind to Canadians in a stimulating, diverse and inclusive work environment. Let’s work together to build trusted relationships and to deliver quality service to all Canadians.
The Internal Auditor reports to the Manager, Internal Audit and assists the Manager, Internal Audit and the Chief Internal Auditor on assignments. There are no positions that report directly to the Internal Auditor. However, the Internal Auditor will, from time to time, be responsible for providing guidance to co-op students and other junior staff for various audit assignments. The Internal Auditor is accountable for conducting internal audits that provide reasonable assurance that: assets are safeguarded and controlled; transactions are in accordance with specified authorities; resources are managed economically and efficiently; and operations are carried out effectively.
- Leads all phases (planning, fieldwork, reporting and follow-up) of internal audit assignments.
- Develops and maintains internal audit frameworks and operating manuals (e.g. ICFR Framework, Internal Audit Manual etc.). This includes collecting data from internal and external sources, conducting research, developing continuous audit tools and methodologies drafting documents for Manager’s approval, and providing technical and drafting support for documents prepared by the Manager.
- Responsible for the development of appropriate audit programs for review and approval by the Manager, Internal Audit or Chief Internal Auditor, including analytical review of the financial and operational data for each area under audit.
- Conducts audit field work, based on approved audit programs, under the direction of the Manager, Internal Audit or Chief Internal Auditor. Manages field work activities, including sample selection, controls testing and substantive testing, and ensures all reporting deadlines can be met. This would include conducting surveys/interviews, and leading meetings with other areas within CDIC.
- Responsible for drafting audit reports which are ultimately intended for Senior Management.
- Prepares process narratives and flowcharting which summarizes the Internal Auditor’s research and analysis of all relevant accounting systems and processes.
- Responsible for ensuring that working papers are prepared in accordance with the requirements of the Professional Standards of the Institute of Internal Auditors. This requires strong technical/analytical capabilities and strong Internal Audit subject matter expertise.
- Responsible for maintenance of permanent files (electronically) for internal audit purposes.
- Recommends, wherever practical, effective and efficient means to improve or establish controls, and prepares detailed write-ups of any instance of non-compliance for review by the Manager, Internal Audit or the Chief Internal Auditor.
- Responsible for conducting quarterly testing of internal controls over financial reporting.
- Assists in the preparation of the risk-based audit plan, providing input based on prior audit work and discussions with other functions within CDIC.
- Supports other functions within Internal Audit as required to maintain the efficiency of the department and the effectiveness of the services that it performs.
- Replaces/fills in for manager, as required, including supporting and developing junior staff, leading team meetings, progressing key deliverables, identifying and proposing solutions/alternatives, and taking decisions under the guidance of the Chief Internal Auditor.
Qualifications and Experience
- University degree in commerce or equivalent.
- Three to five years of related work experience in the field of accounting or auditing.
- Solid knowledge and understanding of financial vocabulary.
- Knowledge of accounting and auditing theory.
- Ability to learn and use new accounting software and other automated systems and tools is essential.
- Familiarity with the key components of deposit insurance, such as premium determination, provision calculation and insurance determination.
- Certified Internal Auditor designation an asset.
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Strong prioritization skills
- Communication (excellent written and verbal communication skills)
- Sound judgement
- Initiative/Innovative thinking
Conditions of Employment/Security Clearance
Level I, Reliability
- One 24-month term position is currently available.
- Due to Canadian immigration regulations, we can only consider applications from Canadian citizens or other individuals legally entitled to work in Canada and obtain necessary security clearances. Please indicate in your cover letter the reason for which you are entitled to work in Canada: Canadian citizenship, permanent resident status or work permit.
- CDIC is a federal agency (separate employer) and does not fall under the Public Service Employment Act.
- CDIC is committed to Employment Equity and encourages the equitable participation of all Canadians. If your application is retained and you require any special accommodation during the selection process, please advise us. Information received relating to accommodation measures will be addressed confidentially.
- If you are interested in joining a dynamic and growing team that contributes to the stability of Canada’s financial system and meet the required qualifications we invite you to forward your résumé and covering letter describing how you could contribute to our organization at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please quote competition #1267.
- We would like to thank all candidates who apply however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.