Location: Toronto or Ottawa
Competition #: 1285
Language Requirements: English Essential
Closing date: June 11, 2020
Would you like to join a dynamic group of professionals that forms part of Canada’s financial safety net? The Applications and Infrastructure group is seeking to fill the position of Data Architect, reporting to the Director, Strategy and Innovation. If you have experience and knowledge in the following areas, apply today to join the team!
- Development and application of standardization methods.
- Leading the development of data products including dashboards and visualizations, ETL, database and API design.
- Data architecture, continuous development, operation, and maintenance of data services and analytic tools.
- Development and application of standardization methods to integrate data from numerous sources.
The Data Architect is responsible for the design, implementation, and maintenance of data solutions at CDIC. This position will ensure that information from diverse sources can be integrated and made corporately available, enabling CDIC with the appropriate tools and processes to perform complex data analysis, visualizations and reporting.
- Responsible for the overall data architecture, continuous development, operation, and maintenance of data services and analytic tools.
- Acquires stakeholder requirements and envisions optimal data solutions that encourage long-term compatibility, scalability and maintainability.
- Leads the development of data products including dashboards and visualizations, ETL, database and API design.
- Develops and applies standardization methods to integrate data from numerous sources into corporate data systems, ensuring data integrity and interoperability with existing corporate applications and business intelligence solutions.
- Applies data science techniques for regression and clustering.
- Coordinates and works with other members of Technical Services to plan, implements and maintains data architectures and infrastructures.
- Manages the BI dependency plan, job scheduling and product release-cycle.
- Monitors performance and business use of data systems to identify areas of opportunities for optimization and enhancements.
- Monitors industry trends, identifying and evaluating emerging data technologies, services, standards and strategies that should be adopted at CDIC.
- Promotes the benefit of standardized business intelligence tools and methodologies across the organization.
- Performs other related duties as required.
Qualifications and Experience
- Undergraduate degree in computer science or engineering or related field, and a minimum of 10 years of relevant experience or equivalent.
- Minimum of 5 years of advanced-experience in implementations using the Microsoft Data Platform.
- Experience exposing data through REST APIs using technologies like MS Entity Framework.
- Familiarity with data science/machine learning techniques for statistical analysis including regression and clustering using statistical modeling languages like R, STATA, or Python.
- Working knowledge of Extensible Markup Language (XML) and related scripting languages; XPath and Extensible Stylesheet Language (XSLT).
- Planning and implementation of data infrastructures, including operational data stores, and data warehouses.
- Expertise in using a variety of technologies to deliver end-to-end solutions, including reports, dashboards and analytic data models (multi-dimensional and tabular).
- Strong understanding of relational and dimensional data models and Extract-Transform-Load (ETL) concepts, designs, and practices.
- Best practices and design patterns for data optimization methods such as de-normalization, indexing, and query execution plan analysis.
- Communication (excellent written and verbal communication skills are essential) and ability to interact with senior executives
- Working with others (Collaboration and relationship management)
- Initiative / Innovative thinking
- Planning and organizing
Conditions of Employment/Security Clearance
Level II, Secret
English Essential, French is considered an asset
- Due to Canadian immigration regulations, we can only consider applications from Canadian citizens or other individuals legally entitled to work in Canada and obtain necessary security clearances. Please indicate in your cover letter the reason for which you are entitled to work in Canada: Canadian citizenship, permanent resident status or work permit.
- CDIC is a federal agency (separate employer) and does not fall under the Public Service Employment Act.
- CDIC is committed to Employment Equity and encourages the equitable participation of all Canadians. If your application is retained and you require any special accommodation during the selection process please advise us. Information received relating to accommodation measures will be addressed confidentially.
- CDIC offers a collegial work environment with highly skilled people, competitive compensation as well as interesting, innovative work. We invite you to forward your résumé and covering letter describing how you could contribute to our organization at email@example.com. Please quote competition #1285.
- We would like to thank all candidates who apply. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.