Website Privacy Notice
This page summarizes the privacy practices of CDIC with regard to its website.
CDIC may collect, use and disclose personal information under the authority of the Canada Deposit Insurance Corporation Act, for, among other things, certain website functions.1
- CDIC’s website does not automatically gather any specific personal information from you such as your name, phone number or e-mail address. Such personal information is only collected by CDIC if you supply it to us by sending us an e-mail or registering in a secure portion of the site.
- CDIC employs software programs to monitor network traffic to identify unauthorized attempts to upload or change information, or otherwise cause damage. This software receives and records the Internet Protocol (IP) address of a computer that has contacted our website, the date and time of the visit and the pages visited. CDIC makes no attempt to link these addresses with the identity of individuals visiting our website unless an attempt to damage the site has been detected.
- Information on individual visitors is used by CDIC who needs to know the information to ensure the security of this system. We do not use the information to create individual profiles.
- CDIC does not normally use “cookies” to track how our visitors use this site or to determine sites previously visited. The system will notify you before any cookies are used so that you may refuse them. (A “cookie” is a file that may be placed on your hard drive without your knowledge by a website to allow it to monitor your use of the site.)
- CDIC also employs web analytics software programs (through a third party service provider) for the purposes of understanding and optimizing its website, to better meet the needs of website visitors and to assist CDIC in delivering information effectively. As part of these web analytics activities, CDIC has activated an anonymization feature whereby the IP address is de-personalized. Therefore, the third party service provider only collects and records the de-personalized IP address of a computer that has contacted our website, the date and time of the visit and the pages visited. In addition, the third party service provider is contractually bound to safeguard the information from unauthorized uses or disclosures. The third party service provider may retain or transmit de-personalized IP addresses outside of Canada for web analytics purposes, including to the United States, and while the information is outside of Canada it is subject to the laws of the jurisdiction in which it is retained or transmitted.
- All de-personalized web analytics information is analyzed and used internally by CDIC who needs to know this information to fulfil the above purposes.
- The maximum retention period for any personal information collected in relation to web analytics is 18 months, and such information is thereafter deleted.
1 Personal information collected by CDIC in connection with the use of its Website is retained in connection with the following Personal Information Bank listed in Info Source: Public Communications – PSU 914. For more details on this personal information bank please refer to Info Source at www.infosource.gc.ca.